Finding out what you’re passionate about can be frustrating. From when you are 18 until you are around 25, you will probably go round in circles trying to figure out who you are. Everybody talks about how they love what they do and how one of the greatest keys to success is to find your passions, then follow them. So how exactly do you find your passion? Here are a few exercises I spotted on entrepreneur.com that I had to share.
EXERCISE 1 – REVISIT YOUR CHILDHOOD. WHAT DID YOU LOVE TO DO?
- Make a list of anything you remember enjoying as a child.
- Think about whether you would enjoy it now.
- What can be translated and added into your life now?
- How can the things you loved doing shape your career choices.
I for one remember how to loved to work with my hands. I liked to make mud cakes, and shapes intricate worlds with plasticine. I also liked to draw. Today, I can confidently say I am passionate about art and I love a fun DIY project. I hope to one day selling a painting for KES 100,000… right now, I’m just working on that.
EXERCISE 2 – MAKE A CREATIVITY / VISION BOARD
- Get a poster board or cardboard box.
- Put the words “My New Business” on it
- Create a collage of images, articles, quotes even poems… basically anything that inspires you to work towards something.
When you surround yourself with images of where you want to be, who you want to become or what you want to create, your awareness and passion for it will grow. As you continue to collect parts for your vision board, you’ll start to notice anything missing and figure out ways to fill the blanks.
EXERCISE 3 – MAKE A LIST OF PEOPLE WHO ARE WHERE YOU WANT TO BE
- Study people who have been successful in what you are interested in pursuing.
- Take note of people who have been resilient while other people in the same field gave up.
EXERCISE 4 – START DOING WHAT YOU LOVE WITHOUT A BUSINESS PLAN
- Do what you love, even if you haven’t figured out how to monetize it.
- Test what it might be like to work in an area you’re passionate about.
- Build your business netwrork as you go along.
- Ask for feedback. It will help you create a proper plan.
Just start. If you don’t do it now, you never will. You don’t have to have something well structured. You don’t have to have investors or a huge client list already.
Now go-forth and conquer your fears, whatever they may be. You can make the best out of your situation, as long as you identify who you are and ways to utilize your gifts for your advantage.